Friday, January 16, 2015

Online Maps Part 1: Purpose Games

It always astounds me that my students do not know about geography of the modern world, much less the ancient world (if I had a denarius for every time a student told me Troy was in Greece...).  To attempt to remedy this situation, I have my students learn the geography of the ancient world, learning the modern names at the same time, in an attempt to teach this.  I often use A Roman Map Workbook by Elizabeth Heimbach, which is a wonderful resource for both the maps and appropriate readings and questions about the maps that draw upon Roman history and culture.  However, I wanted to add an interactive element to these maps.  I stumbled upon Purpose Games, which suited all my needs for creating an interactive map game to help students with maps.  They can time themselves and challenge each other with maps, which helps especially with my more competitive students.  My Roman World Map is labeled as such on the site, and I will be adding a map of Gaul soon. This site provides a fun way for students to study for a map quiz.

Link: http://www.purposegames.com/

1 comment:

  1. As you are adding a map of Gaul, please consider one of Britain as well. My students struggled with the Latin names and could not seem to see the evolution to modern place names. Thank you for a great resource!

    ReplyDelete